Sunday, September 25, 2011

3:1 Transaction

Where and When Did I Find the Word?:  The word transaction came up in Ruddell and Shearer's (2002) article "Extraordinary," "tremendous," "exhilarating," magnificent": Middle school at-risk students become avid word learners with the Vocabulary Self-Collection Strategy (VSS)."

What It Means: The term 'transaction' is used in the context of "learners create meaning through transactions with text and with one another" (p. 354).  I feel that the word 'transaction' is referring to the relationship and interaction with peers and teachers throughout the learning process with a text.  Transaction is the passing of thoughts, comments, connections, questions, ect. in response to a reading.

Level of Familiarity: I have heard and used the term 'transaction' a lot.  I feel that I hear it used in the context of a bank the most, such as the transaction of money from one account to another.  The term is slightly different as an educational term but still has the same foundation in which it is based.  Instead of transferring money from one account into another, students are actually transferring their knowledge into someone else and vis versa.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I do feel that I know this word well due to the use of transaction within the bank setting.  I have also heard it in the educational setting but mostly inside textbooks and not so much within the classroom itself. 

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word...If so Who and Why?:  I do think other teachers should know this word transaction.  A main goal is to transfer knowledge that we already obtain, such as skills and methods, and transfer it upon our students so that they are capable to use the knowledge as well.  For an act that teachers do everyday in the classroom, even if they do not call it a transaction, it is still important to know what exactly they are doing.



Ruddell, M.R. & Shearer, B.A. (2002). "Extraordinary," "tremendous," "exhilarating,"
             "magnificent": Middle school at-risk students become avid word learners with the
             Vocabulary Self-Collection Strategy (VSS).
Journal of Adolescent & Adult
             Literacy, 45
(5), 352-363.

No comments:

Post a Comment