Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'choice' in Daniels, Zemelman, and Steineke's book Content-Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide (2007). The text stated, "Choice: Students have the opportunity to make choices for the focus of their efforts" (p. 195).
What It Means: ‘Choice' refers to giving an array of options for a selection. In relation to the text, 'choice' is given to students to make their own decisions on what to research for a topic.
Level of Familiarity: I have always known and been familiar with the word 'choice' ever since I was little. I was allowed to have the 'choice' of different ice cream flavors or what outfit to wear that day. 'Choice' is something most people are very familiar with but maybe not in the context of the classroom. Materials and assignments used to be strictly the 'choice' of the teacher and the students would have no 'choice' or say in what was required to be completed. The 'choice' of materials and assignments of the students is becoming more familiar today in the classroom but only concerning certain factors and categories of the curriculum.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: Although I am very familiar with the word 'choice,' I want to learn the word well because I feel very inspired whenever I hear the word in use. 'Choice' goes along with my previous word for this weeks reading, 'empower.' Having the 'choice' in relation to topics being learned or how I am learning 'empowers' those involved.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Teachers should be very aware of the term 'choice' when introducing topics and projects to students. Giving students even the smallest 'choice' and having the student in control can make a huge difference in his or her attitude for the rest of the unit. 'Choices' such as how to present a project or the 'choice' of which book to read this month puts the student in the driver seat and allows them to become more motivated and involved in his or her learning.
Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007). Content-area writing. Portsmouth,
NH: Heinemann. p. 195
No comments:
Post a Comment