Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'brainstorming' in Daniels, Zemelman, and Steineke's book Content-Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide (2007). The text states, "Brainstorming is the fancy word for coming up with lots of ideas in a short amount of time" (p. 45).
What It Means: ‘Brainstorming' is exactly what the text stated; it is the action of gathering ideas in a timely manner. 'Brainstorming' can be done individually, with a partner, with a group, or as a whole class. 'Brainstorming' can also be done verbally or written on paper.
Level of Familiarity: I am fairly familiar with the term 'brainstorming' from being in school myself. I do not however, remember it always being called 'brainstorming' by the teachers I had. I feel that my teachers often explained the purpose of what we were doing was to quickly gather our thoughts and ideas on a topic. Although I think it is just as important to explain the purpose of brainstorming' to students before they complete a task, I think it is useful if students become familiar with the term itself as well.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel that I want to learn how to effectively have my future students 'brainstorm' in class activities and on their own individually as well. 'Brainstorming' is a key activity to activate background knowledge and it can build an interest to the subject or topic instead of simply introducing it.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Teachers should know what 'brainstorming' is and I feel that most of them already do. 'Brainstorming' is a strategy that is very beneficial of activating background knowledge for students in the classroom. The more effectively a teacher can activate a student's background knowledge, the more likely the student will be engaged and interested in the lesson. I do think that students should become more familiar with the term 'brainstorming' as well. If students are aware of the importance and effectiveness 'brainstorming' can have on understanding new information, the more actively they will participate in the activity.
Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007). Content-area writing. Portsmouth,
NH: Heinemann. p. 121
What It Means: ‘Brainstorming' is exactly what the text stated; it is the action of gathering ideas in a timely manner. 'Brainstorming' can be done individually, with a partner, with a group, or as a whole class. 'Brainstorming' can also be done verbally or written on paper.
Level of Familiarity: I am fairly familiar with the term 'brainstorming' from being in school myself. I do not however, remember it always being called 'brainstorming' by the teachers I had. I feel that my teachers often explained the purpose of what we were doing was to quickly gather our thoughts and ideas on a topic. Although I think it is just as important to explain the purpose of brainstorming' to students before they complete a task, I think it is useful if students become familiar with the term itself as well.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel that I want to learn how to effectively have my future students 'brainstorm' in class activities and on their own individually as well. 'Brainstorming' is a key activity to activate background knowledge and it can build an interest to the subject or topic instead of simply introducing it.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Teachers should know what 'brainstorming' is and I feel that most of them already do. 'Brainstorming' is a strategy that is very beneficial of activating background knowledge for students in the classroom. The more effectively a teacher can activate a student's background knowledge, the more likely the student will be engaged and interested in the lesson. I do think that students should become more familiar with the term 'brainstorming' as well. If students are aware of the importance and effectiveness 'brainstorming' can have on understanding new information, the more actively they will participate in the activity.
Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007). Content-area writing. Portsmouth,
NH: Heinemann. p. 121
No comments:
Post a Comment