Monday, November 21, 2011

12:2 Microthemes

Where and When Did I Find the Word?: Duggan and Knipper's article "Writing to Learn the Curriculum: Tools for Comprehension in Content Area Classes" (2006) described the term 'microthemes' as a writing strategyThe text stated, "One such strategy is the use of microthemes in which students are asked to draw together key ideas in their own words from a reading assignment, demonstration, experiment or lecture" (p. 466).

What It Means: According to Dugggan and Knipper, (2006) 'microthemes' is a writing strategy that students complete after a task such as a reading assignment, demonstration, experiment, or lecture and record key ideas to form a summary.  These summaries can be recorded on note cards for easy review technique and study habits. 


Level of Familiarity: I had never heard of the term 'microthemes' before reading this article and would say that I have zero familiarity with the term. 


Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I do want to learn the term 'microtheme' better because I do see the effectiveness it has on students in the classroom.  I really feel that when students participate in 'microthemes' in the classroom, they are having a the opportunity to understand themes and topics further by writing out their thought process and having the chance to develop these ideas individually. The really important factor of 'microthemes' is that the students are putting the themes and summaries in their own words, making it personal to them and forcing them to think independently.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: More teachers should become aware of the strategy of 'microthemes' because it does seem to be very productive in involving students to produced summaries and themes on their own.  'Microthemes' can also be done on index cards allowing for easy access to collecting and quick grading which all teachers can easily monitor in the classroom.I think once teachers are familiar with the strategy 'microthemes,' students will benefit from the writing as well. 

Duggan, Timothy, J. & Knipper, Kathy J. (2006). "Writing to learn across the curriculum:
               Tools for comprehension in content area classes." The Reading Teacher 59(5):
               462-470.

No comments:

Post a Comment