Sunday, September 25, 2011

4:1 Differentiation

Where and When Did I Find the Word?:  ‘Differentiation’ came up in Word Wise & Content Rich textbook by Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey on page 98.

What It Means: ‘Differentiation’ was located under the characteristics of effective individual learning.  To differentiate means to make changes due to the needs and proclivities of the individual student (p. 98).  The example the text gave with having vocabulary at the student’s individual level.  For a classroom setting, a differentiated vocabulary list would change for the individual student due to the level he or she is at.

Level of Familiarity: I have worked with many special education teachers who differentiae the materials mainly have heard it in the past in special ewducation classrooms.  Recently, while working through the resource room, I have seen more general educators being aware of the need to differentiate reading matierals and homework for different students. 

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?:  I feel that I am well rounded in knowing what the term means and ahve become well involved with the process of differentiating matierals through my current job.  I not only work with those students who have the differentiated materials but am doing some of the modifying myself.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word...If so Who and Why?:  All general education teachers should be aware of the importance of differentiation.  All students have different needs in the classroom.  It seems like a waste of time to have sutdents at a higher level do work that is too easy for them and also to have stuents do work that is beyond their level too.

Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2008).  Word wise and content rich: Five essential steps to
             teaching academic vocabulary. 
Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    This is a great list of initial words you've posted to your blog! I also love your profile picture -- you look beautiful.

    In regards to the formatting/presentation of the content in the entry, please make sure to use the COMPLETE HEADINGS. This just helps to keep all students' entries standard and make the text "more friendly" (Dreher & Singer) as we read each others' blogs.

    Also, be sure to use appropriate APA formatting (italicizing, for example) when citing titles of books or journals.

    Keep up the great word learning!
    Dr. Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... in this particular entry it looks like some of the information was lost? Be sure to revisit this and complete the content.

    ReplyDelete