What It Means: ‘Schema’ is the knowledge a person has on a certain subject already stored in their head. A person uses his or her schema to help seek out information they already have stored. A person can use schema to help them make inferences, make predictions, organize information, and elaborate.
Level of Familiarity: I am very familiar was the term ‘schema.’ I feel that the term ‘schema’ was not introduced to me until I started taking education classes in undergraduate school. When I was a student, I was always informed to use my prior knowledge to make inferences, make predictions, organize information, and elaborate. I feel that I am pretty familiar with the term now a days but simply through my higher education.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel that it is very necessary for me to know the term ‘schema’ well in my field of education. It may be more important to know how to activate and be aware of a student's schema than to actual know what the term itself means.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: I feel that others should know this word especially in the field of education. Teachers need to be aware of the importance of activating a student's prior knowledge and their schema when introducing new topics and information.
Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998). Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me,
then who? (2nd ed.). Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.
Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998). Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me,
then who? (2nd ed.). Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.
Jessica, this is most certainly a useful term to know. I also LOVE the prompt you posted at the end of the entry: THOUGHTS? How did you do this? You must show me!!!
ReplyDeleteAs I read this entry though, I am left wanting more. Your final section (Do I Think OThers Should Know This Word) is not complete? Also, in your first section (Where and When Did I find the Word), it is really important that you include the actual sentence from which the word came in order to help your reader put the word in a specific context.
Finally, I cannot seem to find your Blog Archive (this is usually a feature most users include to the right of their post). For an example, see ANY of my posted entries. Making your Blog Archive visible for everyone is key so they can naturally learn more words from you as well as have easy access to any words you chose for our vocabulary tests.