Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'signaling' in Dreher and Singer's article Friendly Texts and Text-Friendly Teachers. The text states, "Learning and recall are also facilitated if the structure and content of well-organized texts are highlighted by "signals" such as titles, headings, and topic sentences, or by words and phrases such as first, second, therefore, and concluclusion" (p. 99).What It Means: ‘Signals’ are the points in the text that a reader is supposed to notice. They are items such as headings and titles or even key words at the start of each section. Signals are meant to get the readers attention and demonstrate what is provided in the text that follows.
Level of Familiarity: I am very familiar with the term 'signal' and 'signaling' through my experience with traffic terminology. Traffic signals are very important and you need to always be aware of them. Just like traffic signals on the road, readers should be aware of the signals provided to them in the text features.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel as through I am not completely familiar with the term 'signaling' in the context of education yet so I do not feel like I know the term well in this context. I am aware of the titles and headings but I was not aware of the term that corresponded with them.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: I feel that students should be aware of the term 'signaling'. I feel that students should be aware of the importance of the titles and headings while reading a text in order to become familiar and aware of the organization of text structure. Becoming aware of these text structures will allow students to comprehend and understand the text better.
Dreher, M.J. & Singer, H. (1989). Friendly text and text-friendly teachers. The Social
Studies, 117-123.
No comments:
Post a Comment