Sunday, October 16, 2011

5:2 Empower

Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'empowering' in the article "Eight Types of Graphic Organizers for Empowering Social Studies Students and Teachers" by Gallavan and Kottler.  The word 'empowering' is not only in the title but stated in the article, "we present eight types of graphic organizers to engage, excite, and empower social studies teachers" (p. 118). 

What It Means: 'Empowering" in reference to this article is refers to giving power or authority.  The graphic organizer gives both teachers and students the power and authority to take control of hie or her learning and ability to organize information. 

Level of Familiarity: I am pretty familiar with the term 'empowering' but never really in the community of education.  I feel like I have head the term more often when discussing leadership of having a person take control.  unfortunately, this term is not used often in education even though it should be.  Students should be encouraged to take control and be in charge of their education.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I do feel that I should know this word well.  Allowing students to 'empower' their own education through graphic organizers and other strategies really lets them take the reins and feel in control of what they are learning.  The more a student feels comfortable and confident in their work, the more likelihood of success.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Other teachers should definitely be aware of the term 'empowering' in the education community.  Giving students a chance to have the feel of 'wmpowering' their abilities and success in the classroom is very important and motivating in learning.  Students should also be aware of and engaged in becoming 'empowered' concerning their education.  The more in control a student feels concerning his or her engagement in education, the more involved he or she will be involved.

Gallavan, N.P. & Kottler, E. (2007).  Eight types of graphic organizers for empowering 
        social studies students and teachers.  The Social Studies, 117-123.

No comments:

Post a Comment