Sunday, November 6, 2011

10:1 Learning Logs

Where and When Did I Find the Word?: ‘Learning Logs’ came up in my reading in Teaching Reading in the Content Areas: If Not Me, Then Who? by Rachel Billmeyer and Mary Lee Barton.  The context where I found the word states, "One of the most effective means of writing-to-learn is keeping a learning log" (p. 148).

What It Means: ‘Leanring Logs’ according to Billmeyer and Barton (1998), are meant to "foster reflection on either text content or on students' reading and learning process" (p. 148).  'Learning Logs' are different from traditional journals that students may write in in class because they are more content focused instead of personal thoughts and feelings of the student.


Level of Familiarity: I am not as familiar with 'learning logs' as I am with traditional journals in the classroom.  I remember more often having a journal where I would reflect on how readings made me feel or how I could relate to a certain text.  I feel that once and a while the context I would reflect on in my journal would be about the content that was just studied, but the topics were usual thoughts, feelings, and opinions on personal events in my life. 

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?:  I definitely want to learn the term 'learning logs' more and become more familiar with how to use them because it can serve the purpose of a traditional journal but have more of a purpose and relation to content within the classroom. 

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: I really think that other teachers should become familiar with the what 'leaning logs' are because they are very useful tools that can be used to inspire not only connections for students with content from class but also provide an opportunity to write more in the classroom.  I think students would like the idea of having a 'learning log' as well because it sounds more inviting than simply having to write a paragraph or a paper on a topic but simply just having to write an entry in their learning log. 

Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998).
Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me,
            then who?
(2nd ed.). Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think learning logs would be a useful tool to use in developing study strategies?

    ReplyDelete