Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'idiosyncratic' in Susan Davis' article "Applying Content Study Skills in Co-Listed Reading Classrooms" (1990). The text stated, "Studying is an idiosyncratic process, so this reading teacher's method of study may not have been the preferred method of some of the students in the classroom" (p. 280).
What It Means: The 'idiosyncratic process' that Davis (1990) refers to in the article relates to the the process of choosing study methods for students. An 'idiosyncratic process' means that the method chosen is personal, individual, and meaningful to each student.
Level of Familiarity: I had never heard the term' idiosyncratic' or 'idiosyncratic process' before reading this article. Once I determined the meaning of the 'idiosyncratic process, I felt that it was closely related to the term differentiation seeing as both terms deal with modifying materials or methods to fit students at a more individual level rather than to a whole group.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: Working with students with disabilities, I do feel that I should become well immersed with the term 'idiosyncratic.' Every student is different and learns materials and content in different ways. Forcing a study method on a student that does not aid in their understanding of reviewing or learning a topic is ineffective. The 'idiosyncratic process' focuses teaching strategies and skills that are more individualized to specific students based on their needs and abilities. I feel that this method is the most supportive to each student.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Teachers should be very aware of the term 'idiosyncratic' and the 'idiosyncratic process.' More teachers need to be informed about the needs of the students in the classroom. Not all students will learn vocabulary words by creating flashcards. The 'idiosyncratic process' will allow for more choices in relation to project options, study methods, and assignments in general that best support the learning styles of individual students. Teachers should become more familiar with teaching multiple strategies and skills and having the students use the ones that work best for them individually.
Davis, Susan J. (1990). "Applying content study skills in co-listed reading classrooms."
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 33(4): 277-281.
No comments:
Post a Comment