Monday, November 14, 2011

11:2 Study Skills

Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'study skills' in Susan Davis' article "Applying Content Study Skills in Co-Listed Reading Classrooms" (1990)The text stated, "When they are teaching study skills, success depends on whether or not the students transfer the strategies to other classes" (p. 277).

What It Means: According to Davis, (1990) 'study skills' refers to a special form of reading that is done in order to perform an identifiable cognitive task. 


Level of Familiarity: I have been aware of what 'study skills' are seeing as that I have been in school all of my life.  I feel that I have been taught the same few strategies throughout my schooling life such as rereading class notes and creating flashcards.  Although I used these skills to pass tests, they never helped me remember material once the test was completed.  I feel that there are more 'study skills' that could help me retain information more successfully than what I am familiar with.

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel that I want to know less about what 'study skills' mean and more on different 'study skills' themselves.  I want to know as many different strategies and skills as possible to aid my students in multiple ways to study, review, and learn content materials in class.

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: More teachers should definitely become more familiar with the term 'study skills' along with more examples of different types of 'study skills.'  Having just one go to 'study skill' to teach students is not effective seeing that students all learn in different ways and the one method the teacher may prefer and continue to enforce may not help all students in the class.  Having multiple skills and strategies to teacher to students in the classroom will be very beneficial to the individual success of each student.

Davis, Susan J. (1990). "Applying content study skills in co-listed reading classrooms." 
                   Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
33(4): 277-281.

No comments:

Post a Comment