Monday, November 14, 2011

11:3 Conspiracy Days

Where and When Did I Find the Word?: I found the word 'Conspiracy Days' in Farrell, Simmers-Wolpow, & Tonjes' article "Implementing a Secondary Reading/Study Skills Program Across Disciplines" (1991)The text stated, "Thus, the concept of Conspiracy Days was born: On designed days, all faculty members "conspired" to teach and reinforce one agreed-upon reading/study skill in their area" (p. 277).

What It Means: According to Farrell, Simmers-Wolpow, & Tonjes, (1991) 'conspiracy days' means a chance for faculty to share and exchange instructional strategies for introducing and reinforcing reading and writing skills in their lessons.


Level of Familiarity: I had never heard of the term 'conspiracy days' before reading this article.  I had been aware of gatherings of teachers like team meetings or just simply planning meetings between faculty members in a school but never to the commitment and aspect of what teachers do during 'conspiracy days.'

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I do want to know more about the term 'conspiracy days.'  I feel that time for collaboration and planning between teachers is very important to developing meaningful and effective lessons.  The difference between "conspiracy days" and traditional faculty or team meetings of teachers is the focus on reading and writing strategies.  Often times meetings between teachers focus on topics besides common strategies to reinforce such as behavioral issues or new students.  Having a set time to focus just on planning between teachers is very beneficial and should be included more often in teachers' schedules. 

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: I think that administrators on all schools should be aware of 'conspiracy days' and the importance and effectiveness it has on lesson planning in school districts.  If more administrators were aware of the differences between faculty meetings, team meetings, and team planning time such as 'conspiracy days,' they might be more willing to provide available time for teachers to have that collaboration.  If more teachers were more familiar with the term 'conspiracy days,' I feel that they would strive to have that planning time with other professionals.  The more collaboration teachers can have with other educators while planning, the more opportunities they will have to share, reflect, and improve their lessons.

Farrell, Daniel P., Simmers-Wolopow, Ray, & Tonjes, Marian J. (1991). "Applying
                   Implementing a secondary reading/study skills program across disciplines." 
                   Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
34(8): 590-594.

No comments:

Post a Comment