Where and When Did I Find the Word?: Susan Davis' article "Applying Content Study Skills in Co-Listed Reading Classrooms" (1990) used the term 'study goal' as major part of study skill. The text stated, "After the self-assessment, the reading teacher and I ask the students to set study goals" (p. 277).
What It Means: According to Davis, (1990) 'study goals' refers to setting a reasonable purpose for studying.
Level of Familiarity: I am more familiar with the term 'goal' when it is related to a sports reference. I can use what I know about 'goals' in sports to relate it to 'study goals' in the classroom. In both situations, participants strive to obtain their 'goals' and obtaining these 'goals' will put them ahead in a certain aspect. For sports, the players try to score 'goals' in order to put them ahead of the other team and win the game. In the classroom, students set 'study goals' of how to improve their study habits or strategies. Once students obtain their 'study goals,' the result should improve their weakness and result in better grades.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?: I feel that I have been aware of how to set my own 'study goals' in the classroom and 'goals' for my lessons successfully; what I want to know more about is how teach my students to set 'goals' in the classroom as well. Having students set 'study goals' will give students a purpose to study and learn besides just getting good grades.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word... If so Who and Why?: Everyone in the classroom should be aware of what 'study goals' are and how to set meaningful ones as well. Teachers and students alike need to know the purpose of setting 'study goals' in the classroom. Some teachers need to be aware of the impact setting their own 'goals' have on their students' 'study goals.' Once teachers are more familiar with their own 'goals,' they can model the process of becoming aware, setting a 'study goal,' and how to obtain it as well.
Davis, Susan J. (1990). "Applying content study skills in co-listed reading classrooms."
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 33(4): 277-281.
Isn't the term she is really focusing on here best identified as "study goals" rather than a general goal?
ReplyDelete